Monday, June 22, 2009

airport adventures

So on Friday Alena got her first taste of the Stanley bad luck and my travel bad karma. We ended up having quite the long, stressful, hot day. Our morning first started at 4:00 am where against all my motherly instincts I woke up my peacefully slumbering baby. She gave me the meanest look I have ever seen. I just assumed that since she would still be tired that she would go right back to sleep. Well I was incredibly wrong because she stayed awake through our 13 hour journey to NC. Thanks to our friend Jose we made it to the airport at 5:00 am. Wichita is a very small airport and since it was such an early hour I thought I could get there a little later than normal. It would have working out except the Delta counter had a huge line wrapping all around almost out the door. Sigh... I sat in line with all my luggage (a giant suitcase, stroller, baby bag, car seat, and another bag). The line was moving so slowly and then I saw another smaller line forming and went to see what it was about. One of the self-checkouts was working. So I strolled Alena over and got my stuff over and got checked-in. We made it to our gate seconds before they allowed us on the plane.

We are sitting on the plane and they came over the intercom and informed us that the AC unit is broken but they will get us in the air as soon as possible. Well we kept sitting there and sitting and then they turned the engine off and opened back up the door to let air in. The engine was running hotter than they felt comfortable flying so they were gonna talk to maintenance. Well we were sitting and sitting and then they said we could get off and go back to the gate to wait. I got off because I needed to feed Alena and get some food for me. I got in line for the gate agent because I was going to miss my connection. I was in line for an hour before they got to me ( I was only the 7th person in line). People were losing their tempers and making mean comments. For once I wasn't upset and was annoyed with the people for being so rude to the agents (they were going as fast as they could). Through all this Alena was just smiling and cooing to all the people. She just loved seeing all the different faces and was in such a great mood. We eventually made it to Detroit 2 or so hours late. Alena was wonderful on the plane. She only had one fussy moment for a few minutes before falling asleep on the plane. She didn't stay asleep for long but was in a good mood when she woke up.

Most people were so helpful, wanting to hold, help set up the stroller or just talk and offer a hand for anything. Almost everyone walking by would look at Alena and smile and just love on her. It is amazing how many people love babies and enjoy watching them.

So my new connection was 4 hours later than the original (since I was 2 hours late I had to wait another 2 hrs). Once I made it to the gate I found out that they were running late as well. I got Alena fed and changed and we set up camp at the gate. I layed her down on her blanket, got out her toys and we played while we waited. She stayed in a great mood and I tried t get her to sleep but she was just so awake. Alena loved being at the airport watching all the people and hearing all the noises. We got on the plane at 3:30 pm and then ended up waiting in line to takeoff for an hour putting us in Raleigh at 5:40. This plane ride Alena met her limit. She was so tired but couldn't stay asleep. She was uncomfortable and was fussy for most of the flight. While we were landing she got hungry and really upset. I was completely worn out and emotionally drained. When I saw my parents I just started crying. I was so exhausted and just so happy to finally be home.

I am not sure if I will able to do this again anytime soon. I have never enjoyed traveling and with a baby in the equation it is just so hard. I will be staying pretty busy here in Raleigh but will try to blog when I can. Things might be posted a couple days later.

No comments: